Virtual Facilitation of Action Learning
Principal Consultant, Carter McNamara, about
Action Learning Source
Principal Consultant, Chuck Appleby, on the power of Action Learning in organizations.
Description of the Workshop
Virtual communications are significantly increasing accessibility to – and decreasing the costs of – various forms of learning and development, including Action Learning. This virtual, half-day workshop is useful for those wanting to expand their Action Learning facilitation skills to include virtual facilitation.
Participants from other schools or trainings of Action Learning are welcome to apply to participate for this workshop.
Outcomes for Workshop Participants
- Knowledge of the most important requirements for virtual technologies to support virtual Action Learning sessions
- Ability to support sponsor’s planning, development and implementation of virtual technologies that are suitable for Action Learning facilitation
- General guidelines to train and equip group members to utilize virtual technologies
- Awareness of common challenges in virtual communications and how to address each of them
- Guidelines and tools to effectively conduct virtual Action Learning facilitation and coaching among members
- Experience at least one aspect of virtual communications technology for each typical phase of an Action Learning session
- Vast range of highly practical tools as needed
Methods of Development in the Workshop
The workshop is taught by master Action Learning coaches and facilitators who have extensive experience in facilitating virtual Action Learning sessions. The workshop uses a multi-project Action Learning (peer coaching group) format to ensure each participant's needs are met during the workshop.
Each participant will complete a Learning Journal during the workshop, and develop an Individual Development Plan (IDP) with goals, actions and strategies for further development.
The workshop can be done face-to-face or virtually depending on the nature and needs of participants. The workshop can also be done in-house for an organization. Each workshop is designed for five to eight participants per instructor.
Typical Topics in the Workshop
Topics will be customized to the needs and interests of participants and could include:
- Advantages and disadvantages of virtual communications in Action Learning facilitation
- Most important requirements – and superfluous requirements – of technical systems to support virtual Action Learning training, facilitation and coaching
- Best practices in virtual Action Learning training, facilitation and coaching
- Several high-quality and time-tested products and services to support virtual communications
- Several templates for virtual Action Learning facilitation and coaching
Each participant receives a certificate upon completing each workshop, assuming he or she fully attended and actively participated in the workshop.
NOTE: There is no independent "certification" organization in the field of Action Learning, for example, like the independent International Coach Federation is for the profession of personal and professional coaching. "Independent" means that the certification organization does not concurrently promote and provide certification on its own particular model of Action Learning, while suggesting that it concurrently is the certification organization of other and different models.
- The Many Faces of Action Learning -- An Introduction to Innovative Approaches
- Action Learning Facilitation
Prerequisites could be negotiated, based on the current capabilities of the learner.
Chuck Appleby, PhD, of Appleby & Associates, is a master Action Learning coach and facilitator with extensive experience in Action Learning planning, development and instruction. Carter McNamara, MBA, PhD, of Authenticity Consulting, LLC, is also a master Action Learning coach and facilitator, and is an internationally known thought leader in customizing Action Learning programs and processes. Chuck and Carter are organizational and leadership development consultants with over 30 years of management, consulting and coaching experience in government, industry and non-profits.
For Scheduling, Fee and Registration
Contact Action Learning Source at info@ActionLearningSource.com
" Cater generously shared his insights, expertise
and materials to help me design a virtual program that was later funded
by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation."
— Pam Toal, CEO & Certified Professional Coach, Toal & Associates Coaching & Consulting